From: Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Sent: Donnerstag, 2. März 2023 11:07
To: dev@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: Improvement ideas for Ant 1.10.13

*EXTERNAL source*

On 2023-02-27, KUNES Michael wrote:

> We are using tar as part of our software to prepare data sent to
> devices that use tar or tgz format for receiving e.g.: CSV, XML,...
> files

Then I'd strongly recommend you look into replacing it with Commons Commpress
at one point in time. The libary does support some POSIX tricks Ant's codebase
doesn't support and they've added a TarFile class for random access (much like
ZipFile) that would be out of scope for Ant.

Still.

> 1) I agree that this NPE might not occur under normal circumstances.
> Therefore, I am quite sure that the finding is due to our static code
> analysis tool remarks and just some beautification. But danger to
> introduce problems is quite low.

Do you want to prepare a formal bug report and patch - or a github pull
request? Or should I just go ahead and add a null check myself? Either way is
fine with me.

> 2) we did this fix some 10-15 years ago since we had some problem with
> one of our embedded devices that is not very fault-tolerant. But to be
> true, that's all I remember.  Big sorry!

No problem at all. It would be good if you could give the updated Ant codebase
with Arrays.fill a try to verify this really fixes the problem for you as well.

Many thanks