Both approaches look quite "hacky" to me.

Thank you,

Vlad

On 11/23/16 00:01, Mohit Jotwani wrote:
+1 - Approach 2

Regards,
Mohit

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM, AJAY GUPTA <ajaygit...@gmail.com> wrote:

+1 for approach 2.

Regards,
Ajay

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM, David Yan <da...@datatorrent.com> wrote:

The goal of this log4j appender is to provide a log offset and the fixed
name of the container log file (instead of apex.log becoming apex.log.1
and
then apex.log.2, etc due to rotation) as part of an error STRAM event so
users can easily locate the log entries around the error.

The user can override the appender, but in that case, the engine detects
that and will not include the log location as part of the STRAM event.

David

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Priyanka Gugale <
priya...@datatorrent.com
wrote:

Hi,

Thomas,
Yes log4j is ultimately owned by user, and they should be able to
override
it. What I am trying to do is provide a default behavior for Apex. In
case
user isn't using any logger of their own we should use this new
appender
of
Apex rather than using standard log4j appender as per hadoop config.

Sanjay,
Archetype is the good place to put this and I will add it there, but
many
time people won't use it. So I wanted to keep it at ~/.dt as well. Is
there
any other default config folder for Apex?

Also I am not relying on anything. If we fail to find config in app jar
or
~/.dt we are going to skip usage of this new appender.

-Priyanka

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 5:58 AM, Sanjay Pujare <san...@datatorrent.com