I am writing an extensive database and macro document here:
http://www.pitonyak.org/database/OOoBaseBinaryFields.odt

I have a macro that demonstrates how to connect to flat files using macros. My macro generates the data, loads the data into a Calc document using the "scalc: Text - txt - csv (StarCalc)" filter, and then connects to the flat file and the Calc document as a data source. This is all for "learning", of course. On Windows, a Calc document is opened, and on my Linux box, a Write document is opened. Does this make any sense at all?

If you download the document listed above, search for "Read Fixed Width File", which is listing 31 on page 65. There is a button that you can click on, which will automatically run the macro, which is also displayed in the text....

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Macro Document: http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.sxw