Fabricio Lemos wrote:

> Here is the scenario for my application:
> 1. The user request a document to the server.
> 2. The server stores, via java applet, the document at the user disk.
> 3. The user may open and close the document as many times he wants.
> Some times he edit it, sometimes not. He can still move the document
> to another folder or another computer.
> 4. At any time (hours, days or months later), the user may decide to
> upload the document to the server.
> 5. The user tells the server where the file is and the server get the
> file via java applet.
> 6. On the server side, I need to know how long the document stayed open.
>
> All transfer operations, between server and user, is done via http.

So you could do the following:

If you know where the local disk copy is you can wait until the document
is closed, then load the file from disk in hidden mode, change the data
about the editing time (preferable as extended metadata in the document)
and send it to the server. Later on when we have the new feature that
metadata can be stored independently from the content this will be much
faster because reading and writing only metadata is quite fast.

Best regards,

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.