I'm currently developping an application and use an unpublished API
because it saves me lots of work. What I was thinking  as a provisory
solution is to add the possibility for a developper to suscribe to the
unpublished API and get a warning message when there will be some work
done on it. So the developer came immediatly publish a new version of
his application.