Kay Ramme - Sun Germany - Hamburg wrote:
Stephan,

Stephan Bergmann wrote:

Why do you think so? My reading of the article is as follows: Something marked "public" in Java can be accessed by everybody, and that is a problem, as while some of those things are really intended by their authors to be accessible by anybody, others are not (but must be "public" nonetheless for some technical reasons): "The two cases are quite different, yet there’s nothing in the Java language to tell the difference." Introducing the "published" concept solves that problem in that authors can now specify whether or not they intend specific things to be accessible by anybody. (Technically, people could still cheat and access unpublished things, but it would at least be clear who is doing something wrong then.) This is the same situation as our UNO API: While all the things are technically visible, clients should only use those things marked "published" (they still can technically use the others, too, but have to be very sure they know the consequences of doing so).
The "public" problem is purely Java related, UNO APIs can very well be private ...

...not really. The (new-style) services and singletons of the private API need to be available at the global service manager and component context (by definition), and information about any types of the private API should be available at the global type description manager (so that bridging works). So, information about a private API leaks, and you are faced with the problem that, as I said before, I see analogous in Fowler's original Java case and our UNO API case: you want to differentiate API that is globally accessible by design from API that is globally accessible by accident.

-Stephan
Kay