Kent Gibson schreef:
Our approach is basically model-controller-view. We
have one model which we wrote in java and we can
create two different views, one in OpenOffice and one
in In Design. For performance we have tried a mixed
macro and java solution, but I am not sure with all
the marshalling and unmarshalling that it really
helped much for performance.

I tried the cursor idea, you actually gave me the idea
(thanks). It is normally faster, but, I had a couple
of problems with it.

a) it doesn't work with tables in frames. If you take
the first xText and the last xText then it only
measures from the first to the next to last cell.

b) it doesn't seem to work with thick borders

c) sometimes the measurements were not pixel, perfect,
I think it had to do with the fact that the last line
was not measured or something like that.

OpenOffice is great, and I reckon its strength is it
api. I would of course love to see more features that
can let user render high quality document on the fly.
For example this LayoutHeight property.

I have a question are OpenOffice pdf's "Pdf-x" format.
I believe that is what print ready pdfs with all the
correct image information are called.
PFX-x or whatever standard, but for the final PDF-produktion we use a commercial Danish product cold Publi-PDF from GrafikHuset who uses Adobe or Ghostscript as engine. All Commercial Printers uses CMYK and no RGB. Most PDF-producing Software have a lot of problems to transform the RGB based files (OO, Word etc...) to CMYK- PDF When producing the images, whe makes a high resolution CMYK-EPS and a low resolutuionRGB-TIFF. We start with RGB-images to make the Layout in OO and only just before we make the PDF we change the GraphicURL's to the CMYK-EPS images whithout changing the GrahicInformation (Crop, sise...). OO now shows just boxes with the new GraphicURL but the poscript print-engine lives EPS unchanged ito CMYK and we can now produce perfect CMYK-PDF. under the PDF-x standards.
regards