Thanks for that excellent reply!

(Philipp, I copied you on BCC to make certain you would receive my thanks even if you do not monitor the list).

Philipp Lohmann wrote:
Hi,

Modifiers alone do not per se generate a key event in vcl for years but
a specialized "KeyModChange" (modifier changed) event. This is not bound
to the awt implementation, so I guess it is not available to any awt
customer. Moreover key mod change is not dispatched on every modifier
change, but only on key releases.

This peculiar behaviour has its origin in the rather unique feature that
 lead to the implementation of KeyModChange, namely the explicit
distinction that the left or right shift key was pressed and then
released. This action switches the writing direction.

The fact that you get a key input for Alt is a side effect due to the
duplicate role of Alt as KEY_MENU which is native on Windows and
emulated on other platforms.

So currently you don't get key events for modifiers, only for modified
keys. Only on Windows you get a key event for Alt pressed as actually a
side effect.

Kind regards, pl