Frank Schönheit - Sun Microsystems Germany wrote:

> Hi Mathias,
>
>>> Which really also might turn out as "never" - the unlikeliness of
>>> the big-bang-change to happen was already pointed out (since when
>>> are we talking about awt redesign? I personally think it's >8 years
>>> now).
>>
>> If it doesn't happen, the pain to have them obviously is not big enough.
>> If it hurts you that much, go on and make the change.
>
> Sorry, but that's nonsense.

No, seriously: if we still don't start changing this and instead of this
do other things, then obviously the pain is not big enough to overcome
the pain we feel in the other areas we are working. "Pain" isn't
absolute here, it's always in relation to something else and to the
relecance that the different parts have for the whole project.

> How many years do we talk about a new resource system? How many pain did
> it cause in the last 20 years that dialogs are developed by hacking a
> text file, instead of some decent UI editor? How many man *years* have
> been wasted by this? And what happened to ease that pain? Nothing at all!

Maybe because other pain was bigger? Maybe because those feeling the
pain didn't explain it good enough? Fact is, that everybody (including
yourself) did something else. That means to me: other things have been
more important.

You won't change that by breaking a single interface. This will not
remove the "pain" you have described.

So I repeat my point: if re-working awt is important enough (and a
general agreement about that exists), it should be done. Fixing a single
interface is pointless and should be avoided.

Ciao,

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".