On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 04:51:46AM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 12:57:01AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > That is generated by ./buildconf in the APR directory. It is created by
> > autoconf or autoheader (I forget which). Something must have happened to it
> > after you ran buildconf.
>
> Thanks.  My problem was not running buildconf.  Too bad this isn't
> documented, maybe I'l write something.  Is there a way for configure
> to tell if buildconf has been run?  Then we wouldn't have to document
> it.

Hrm. ./configure doesn't exist in CVS. It gets created by buildconf, just
like apr_private.h.in.

Ah! I bet you ran "autoconf" to create ./configure, but missed the
"autoheader" step.

I would think that configure would barf when it tries to use
apr_private.h.in, but I could easily imagine that it got buried in some
output and just wasn't easily seen. It wouldn't be hard to add a test, but
it is important to recognize that only developers need to use buildconf.
When APR gets distributed, it will have had buildconf run already (so end
users don't need the autoconf tool). IOW, the right answer is to expect the
developers to know, or to have a README.dev or something.

> Ok, now to the next problem.  That was that it couldn't find stderr.
> The attched patch fixes this.

The attached patch is missing :-) ... can you resend?

> The next problem.  When trying to compile socketcommon.c, I get about
> 50 error messages.  They all basically look like this
> I suspect that this is either a result of horrible bitrot (which seems
> unlikely) or that there's some simple includes that aren't happening
> correctly.

Bitrot. The socket code is being revamped for two purposes:

1) provide for both IPv4 and IPv6
2) shift more of the per-platform duplicated code to common code

David is the BeOS guy, but I don't think he has been patching as fast as
Jeff has been changing the code :-)

Cheers,
-g

--