[ moved to dev@apr.apache.org ]

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:35:35PM -0600, Sam TH wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 12:31:33PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > that in AbiWord, keeping things working across platforms would be
> > > nearly impossible without the help of Tinderbox.  APR makes that
> > > easier here (insert license whine) but it's still a good idea.
> >
> > What's wrong with the license?
>
> if(license1 == apache && license2 == gpl)
>       gratuitousIncompatibility = true;

  RMS_posits_incompatibility_without_explanation = true

> Supposedly RMS and Brian Behlendorf are working to resolve this.

Brian is asking his reasoning, RMS isn't responding.

In the past, I believe he has stated that clause (4) is an "additional
restriction" which violates some clause in the GPL. But he continues to be
mum on the situation.

The ASF is going to rewrite clause 4 and 5 so that we don't have to
search/replace every copy of the license that we attach to the software.
That should coincidentally remove his perceived incompatibility.

Note that you are in charge of the GPL'd software, it is always your right
to make an allowance *if* this perceived incompatibility bothers you.
("nothing in this license [the GPL] should be construed as interfering with
the inclusion of the APR project.")

Cheers,
-g

--