On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 04:27:31PM -0500, Greg Ames wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > So far it seems counterproductive to build a threaded APR app on
> > > FreeBSD.  I suggest that APR needs logic like the following:
> > >
> > >   if FreeBSD:
> > >     if --enable-threads specified,
> > >       abort configure with an error message
> > >     else
> > >       configure without thread support
> > >
> > > Maybe other apps work fine (so far :) ) using threaded APR on BSD?
> > >
> > > Thoughts?  It is pretty sucky to disable thread support, but it is
> > > even worse to present it as working and end up tracking down weird
> > > problems caused by the way we tickle the thread library or perhaps
> > > just the thread library itself.
> >
> > I would suggest just putting this into hints.m4 for APR, so that we
> > automagically disable threading on FreeBSD for anything before
> > 4.2-STABLE.  Rumor is that 4.2-STABLE has valid thread support.
> >

> I wouldn't put much stock into this source of rumors.  daedalus is on
> 4.2-STABLE, and it's pretty hosed when you run Apache 2.0 prefork built
> with threads enabled.

Sounds like we should just flat out disable threading on FreeBSD until
somebody can show otherwise.

In other words, disable threading for *all* FreeBSD ports, then specifically
enable revisions that are known to work.

Does this disabling apply to OpenBSD and NetBSD, too?

Note: it would also be best to have the *default* be disabled. If somebody
uses --enable-threads (explicitly), then we ought to spit a warning out, but
otherwise let them be. Maybe the person who passed --enable-threads to the
command line knows something.

Cheers,
-g

--