Justin Erenkrantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Notes regarding HP-UX compilation with latest CVS snapshots
> of httpd-2.0, apr, and apr-util:
>
> config.guess: hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.00
> uname: HP-UX B.11.00 U 9000/800
> HP's Ansi C compiler (non-free): HP C/HP-UX Version A.11.01.00
> MPM: prefork
>
> Let me know if you want more details about the hardware and
> software setup.  The key is HP-UX 11.00 with HP's C compiler.
>
> apr_sendfile doesn't have an implementation in APR defined for
> HP-UX.  I do know that HP has different sendfile() semantics than
> Solaris or FreeBSD.  I seem to remember Linus Torvalds mentioning
> on lkml that HP-UX had "braindamage" in its sendfile implementation:

weird or not, I implemented apr_sendfile() on HP-UX and it works fine
with the APR test program; I'll test with Apache Real Soon Now
(hopefully this weekend); I just got an HP-UX 11 account and need to
get a regression test bootstrapped

(by the way, we don't build with the HP compiler on HP 10.20; need to
look lots further into which compiler I have access to and why it
doesn't like some seemingly benign declarations in APR)

> There were some compiler warnings, but I didn't really pay attention
> to those (seemed mostly harmless).

I fixed some and also have an uncommitted patch to add
-D_XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED (forgive spelling mistakes here); I need to
double check the difference in compiler messages with and without
before committing.

>                                 Since pthread is new in HP-UX 11.xx,
> it might not be a terribly bad idea to test out the MPM pthreads model
> as well (I used prefork) - if I get a chance later today, I might do
> so.

Any stress testing you can do with pthread would be great.  I don't
expect to have time to do much more than verify that it basically
works under extremely light loads.  At least this will be done on a
regular basis (thanks to cron and perl).

> If desired, I can also dig up some time on an IBM AIX 4.3 box to test.
> Not sure if anyone has confirmed AIX yet.

A few of us at IBM run on AIX 4.3.3 regularly.  AFAIK, any time you
have would be best spent on HP-UX as it would seem to have the least
care and feeding of the two.

> Hope this helps,

certainly!

--
Jeff Trawick | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | PGP public key at web site:
             Born in Roswell... married an alien...