On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:01:36PM +0100, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 05:06:25AM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:
> > No.
> >
> > We run xml/expat/configure, and it produces that Makefile. APRUTIL shouldn't
> > be doing this. Please back out this change.
>
> That is not really true. It definitely did not generate the Makefile,
> that's why I added the patch in the first place.
>
> I always do "buildconf && configure && make clean && make",
> and "make clean" bailed out because the apr-util/xml/expat/Makefile
> was not generated.

A snippet of my configuration log:

updating cache ../../../.././config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating lib/Makefile
creating lib/expat.h
creating config.h
xml/expat configured properly

I see the Makefile getting created there :-)

... I figured out the problem. In the APRUTIL configuration, you'll see some
lines like this:

checking for Expat in /usr... no
checking for Expat in /usr/local... no
checking for Expat in xml/expat-cvs... no
checking for Expat in xml/expat... yes

What are you seeing on your platform? I'm guessing that Expat was installed
and found in one of those other locations. Thus, aprutil's configure never
ran xml/expat/configure, thus never making xml/expat/Makefile.

Prolly the same for David.

The right answer is to fix xml/Makefile.in to recurse only if APRUTIL
decides to use its builtin expat.

Fix approacheth...

Cheers,
-g