On 28 Jun 2002, Jeff Trawick wrote:

> The first fun comes during buildconf processing:
>
> $ ./buildconf
> buildconf: checking installation...
> buildconf: autoconf version 2.53 (ok)
> buildconf: libtool version 1.3.4 (ok)
> Copying libtool helper files ...
> Creating include/arch/unix/apr_private.h.in ...
> WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
> WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
> WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

That's not specific to *BSD.  It's just an overly verbose "this is
deprecated" message.

> during configure I get these messages like this when creating each of
> the make files (probably not a fatal condition):
> config.status: creating Makefile
> mv: Makefile: set owner/group (was: 1121/0): Operation not permitted
> make works, so I overreacted about all the messages.

I saw the same in icarus.  I have no bloody idea what it's talking about.
This one *is* *BSD specific (maybe even FreeBSD 4.6 specific, not sure).
Anyway, as you discovered, you can safely ignore this message.

--Cliff