On Sun, 14 Jul 2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 11:03:45PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> > That is a more frequent case, yes.  How httpd stores the return
> > values from apr functions is up to httpd.  If all it needs is elapsed
> > seconds, and int suffices quite nicely.
> >

> > E.g.
> >
> >   int request_start = apr_time_as_sec(apr_time_now());
> >   int request_end = apr_time_as_sec(apr_time_now());
> >
> >   int elapsed_sec = request_end - request_start;
>
> And, if we are trying to optimize the httpd case, I'm merely
> saying that busec does a *really poor* job.
>
> I'm beginning to think a timeval-like structure (perhaps two
> 64-bit scalars - one for secs and one for usec - in decimal) is
> what we really want.  The time to access the second component becomes
> free.  The precision is maintained with the usec structure.
>
> (I could be convinced that it should be two 32-bit scalars which
> matches POSIX.)
>
> When optimizing, I think you need to know what you are optimizing
> and I think the focus here is on optimizing the wrong functions.
> I'm beginning to think we need to optimize the retrieval of
> seconds at the possible expense of difference calculation.
>
> > And apr_fileinfo_t ctime, mtime and atime become ... ints?
>
> It's trivial to take a time_t and convert it to a timeval
> structure.  So, I'm not sure what you are saying here.

I am more and more convinced that apr_time_t should stay exactly as it is,
and interval times should move to 32-bit values representing usecs.  If
httpd wants 1 second resolution, then they either take a performance hit,
or use POSIX time_t.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
550 Jean St
Oakland CA 94610