On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:43:38PM +0530, Amit Athavale wrote:
> Graham Leggett wrote:
>
> >Ok - what I would like to do is put information on what needs to be
> >done in the error message, so that when mod_ldap starts and the shared
> >memory goes pear shaped, the admin is given exact instructions on what
> >to do to fix it, this removing your step 4 above, and hopefully also
> >step 6. [1]
> >
> >Something like: "LDAP cache: shared memory segment could not be
> >created due to problems with an unclean shutdown. Please run 'ipcrm -m
> >XXXX' to fix this."
> >
> >How would I get the XXXX part? Is this returned anywhere?
>
> I don't think it is possible. APR does not pass back any information
> in case of error, other than error code itself. (and anyway XXX is shmid
> returned by shmget() which is failing in your case)

Agreed.  The answer is that the name-based shm interface is not useful;
always use anonymous shm by default and all the headaches go away.

I guess it could be made useful either by having apr_shm_create() remove
an existing shm segment with the given name then re-create it (as MM
does IIRC), or to add an apr_shm_remove() function which removes a
name-based shm segment as only APR knows how.

joe