Joe Orton wrote:

gen-build.py, apr_common.m4 and config.sub are surely only needed if you
run ./buildconf?  That shouldn't be necessary for apr-util.

Ok... this explains a bit, will take it out and see if I get any luck.

The second problem is in ./configure and Makefile.in. The build scripts looks for the above files in the source code directory for apr using this:

configure: APR_SOURCE_DIR="`$apr_config --srcdir`"
Makefile.in: $(AWK) -f @APR_SOURCE_DIR@/build/make_var_export.awk $(HEADERS)

I'd forgotten there were so many things which broke... for the Fedora
apr package we patch `apr-config --srcdir` to print ${libdir}/apr.

Patching our own release seems untidy to me (it's ok if it's a vendor release fixing vendor specific issues, but it's our own release).

Is it not possible to add `apr-config --builddir` which gives a path to the ./build directory of apr, required by the build of apr-util?

If so, I'll add it to apr in the next day or two.

Regards,
Graham