William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Mladen Turk wrote:
Do not understand why are you against such a solution.
The half-way is IMHO always better then no-way :)

Half-assed means that users rely on the design paradigm, only to discover
later that it isn't portable.

Part of the flaw was that this should have been noticed by the person who
implemented the API on the Win32 platform with an obervation that it wasn't
portable.

Then one of three things happen, we choose not to implement it, we choose
to implement with a #define that warns the user the pattern isn't portable
or available in the current compilation, or we return ENOTIMPL to warn them
at run time it's not available.

You aren't solving the problem of helping users write portable code, which
is the reason for my ongoing objection.

FYI, I'm waiting for someone to send me the code that I'd made work on Win64. In restrospect, it's quite possible that I only fixed it for the static-link case -- DLLs do have their own ctor/dtor segments, but I'm not sure that they're noticed at program shutdown or library close.

I'll know more in a few days.