On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 18/10/09 19:57, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>>
>> There is no consensus yet on the scope of what has to be addressed
>> (distinct from whether the project or the packager should address it).
>>  The discussion in the earlier commit thread needs to be carried to
>> its conclusion.
>>

> What about simply making apr.h/apu.h as a stubs
> for apr-$CPU.h
>
> eg.
>
> /* apr.h */
> #if defined(__i386__)
> #include <apr-i386.h>
> #elif define(__x86_64__)
> #include <apr-x86-64.h>
> etc...
>
> Something like that is already done on
> lots of platforms to simulate the universal (multiarch) concept

or similar for SPARC or POWER or z or ... ;)

This issue is already being handled by multiple packagers on multiple
platforms besides Darwin, independent of the fat binary concept.

I guess we could provide a helper script to aid packagers by consolidating

* the list of affected header files (hopefully just apr.h/apu.h by design)
* the exact mechanism, for similar experience across distributions

./helpers/merge_headers.p[ly] __i386__ /bld/32/apr-1.3.x/include/
__x86_64__ /bld/32/apr-1.3.x/include/ /inst/include

Neither of these issues is a big deal, but if packagers were to make
use of this it might save the users of apr a little confusion.  But a
set of general notes to packagers on this and other topics could be
much more valuable than solving the small issue of how to use a single
include directory.

(I don't yet see how we can make a useful contribution on other
aspects of multi-architecture support -- fat binary or multiple
bin/lib/build directories or ....)