On 20 Oct 2009, at 04:18, Branko Čibej wrote:

Barry Scott wrote:
I think the problem is that configure is used to find out things that
change arch to arch
like void * size rather then using preprocessor detection of those things.

I wonder, how do you detect the size of void* with the preprocessor in
C? The preprocessor doesn't understand sizeof.

You detect that its a build on mac os x and then use the CPU feature macros that the compiler defines to choose 4 or 8. You end up writing code like this:

#ifdef __APPLE__
#ifdef __x86_64__
its Mac intel 64
#endif
etc...

Testings for API functions being present would be arch independent.

That depends, doesn't it? There's no guarantee that you have the same
external libraries available in several different flavours.

If you are talking about Mac OS X features then yes you have the same libs
on all arch.

For example if I can build APR as a fat binary
Then I can build subversion as a fat binary
And then I can build pysvn as a fat binary

As an example python can be built for powerpc and intel for both 32 bit
and 64 bit in one go. I don't even need a powerpc Mac expect for testing
the resulting build.

On windows don't you just ship the answers as if configure had run?

That's because there's no "configure" tool for Windows. I surely hope
SCons will be able to help here, because the various hacks necessary to
customize the Windows build are not tasty.

My point is that it can be done without configure running.

Barry