Nope - simply /DCROSS_COMPILE in the [lib]apr.dsp/.mak files rather than
pre-copying apr.h.  I don't think that using apr feature detection and
headers buys us anything in compiling code which should 'just work' on
any compiler still in use in this century :)
I suggested this already longer time ago for httpd as well - but only Stefan agreed so far ... as you seem to agree now as well we're 3 and I think we should push a change which removes APR dependency entirely from gen_test_char.c for all httpd + APR brances and make the code more simple.

Gün.