Agree we should be careful with backward compatibility, but I unfortunately
don't have anything below VS2005 to test against.

Anyway, if it turns out the change has to be #ifdef-ed, which is most likely,
then testing _MSC_VER only is not enough or appropriate. Please note, if one
uses VS2013 (_MSC_VER == 1800), it doesn't necessarily mean that the Platform
Toolset v120 is being used. Starting with VS2010, it's possible to choose one
of the available Platform Toolsets to build with.

So, either _MSC_VER_FULL should be used or a new preprocessor definition can be
added, something like _MSC_PT_VER=$(PlatformToolsetVersion) with further
reference to _MSC_PT_VER >= 120.

Regards,
Arsen