APR is C-T-R. If it is larger or significant change/addition, discussion on
list first is great, but most of APR has been JDI.

As 1.6 is unreleased, whatever goes in trunk that does -not- break
backwards binary compat can go right into 1.6 as well.

So go for it, don't worry about STATUS unless the proposal is under
debate/discussion.