On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 2:37 PM Ruediger Pluem <rpl...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/13/22 7:04 PM, Ivan Zhakov wrote:

> >> I think that most if not all of the changes to 1.7.x since 1.7.0 are
> >> fixes for bugs that were there before 1.7 already, not regressions
> >> introduced by 1.7.0.
> >
> > Agreed on the bugfix/regressions part. I have misunderstood that
> > r1896510 is a bugfix, perhaps, due to its size, and was thinking that
> > it adds new functionality. But even with that in mind, I still think
> > that the size of the change might be just too large for it to be an
> > appropriate fit for a patch release.
> >
> > Speaking of the change itself, I think that there might be an
> > alternative to making the apr_file_t also handle sockets on Windows.
> > It might be better to specifically change the pollset implementation
> > so that on Windows it would add a socket and use it for wakeup,
> > instead of using the socket disguised as a file.
> >
> > If this alternative approach sounds fine, I could try to implement it.
>
> But this could wait for a 1.7.2, correct? I am asking because there is some
> desire to get 1.7.1 out of the door soon.
> And yes I would be happy with 1.7.2 that only adds this over 1.7.1 and is
> released soon after 1.7.2.

Although this doesn't "appear" to introduce an API change, based on the
scope it seems significant enough to merit a 1.8.0 release, following
1.7.1. I've forked a working branch 1.8.x to continue this effort without
interruption. Your call whether it should persist in 1.7.1, it seems that
apr >= 1.8 is an easier decision point for developers looking for these
enhancements.