I'm talking about a fixed decimal type, not floating decimal. (Oracle
numbers are floating decimal. They have a few nice properties, but
they are variable width and can get quite large. I've seen one or two
systems that started with binary floating point numbers, which are
much worse for business computing, and then change to Java BigDecimal,
which gives the right answer but are horribly inefficient.)

A fixed decimal type has virtually zero computational overhead. It
just has a piece of metadata saying something like "every value in
this field is multiplied by 1 million" and leaves it to the client
program to do that multiplying.

My advice is to create a good fixed decimal type and lean on it heavily.

Julian