hi Matthias,

You need to use the IPC writer tools to write a Table or RecordBatch
to some memory region:

http://arrow.apache.org/docs/cpp/namespacearrow_1_1ipc.html

There is a function for computing the size of a record batch, but not
a Table yet, but you can look at its implementation to get an idea
what to do:

http://arrow.apache.org/docs/cpp/namespacearrow_1_1ipc.html#af3e2c42f9315d51ee531d46506790291

It would be useful to have the ability to "stage" a message stream to
be written to prevent multiple passes over the data structure (once to
size, then again to write). I opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-1860

- Wes