Sorry to hear, it's a bit of a rough situation with Flatbuffers and
Rust. One possibility is to build an interface to the Flatbuffers data
via flatcc (https://github.com/dvidelabs/flatcc) -- I wonder if these
bindings are header-only like C++ and if that makes things any easier
for you.

If you defined an API in Rust for reading and writing the Arrow
metadata that does not expose any Flatbuffers-specific details, then
once there is a production-grade Rust implementation of Flatbuffers,
the implementation details could be swapped out without disruption.

> my recent attempts at contacting the author have been unsuccessful

Have you e-mailed the author directly or only pings on GitHub? Pings
may not be making it to their inbox.

Appreciate your efforts on this; I think we'll see a lot more work in
data processing in Rust in the coming years.

- Wes