Hi,

This is related to an earlier email I sent regarding separating the Rust
implementation into sub crates. See some early discussions in this PR
[1].  As we could have multiple crates for the project in future (e.g.,
arrow, parquet, orc, gandiva), I'm wondering whether we can keep different
versions for these crates. For instance, the parquet crate use to have
version 0.4.2 before merging into arrow, and I think it's better to
maintain the continuity there.

Another thing is about release cycles. I understand that it is best to keep
the release cycles for these crates the same as arrow's. However, it's
possible in future that we may need a minor release for a critical bug fix
of a particular crate, and to follow the overall release process for that
seems like an overkill and not quite feasible.

Therefore, I'm proposing to:
1. allow different versions for sub-crates.
2. follow the overall release schedule, but maintain the flexibility of
doing separate releases when necessary.

Thought?

Chao

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3291#issuecomment-450950275