Hello,

> Am 16.03.2019 um 14:30 schrieb Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hello Uwe,
>
>> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:38:32AM -0400, Uwe L. Korn wrote:
>>
>> we have merged the CMake refactor yesterday
>> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3688 and this means that the build
>> system behaves a bit different. The main differences are:
>>

> A few more comments:
>
> 1. There was an extra ARROW_GANDIVA line in the docker build script.  So I
> submitted a PR: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3937.
>
> 2. I don't know if this is intentional, but jemalloc and rapidjson aren't
> detected on my system.
>
>   # rpm -qa rapidjson\* jemalloc\*
>   rapidjson-devel-1.1.0-6.fc28.noarch
>   jemalloc-devel-5.0.1-5.fc28.x86_64
>   jemalloc-5.0.1-5.fc28.x86_64
>
>   # from cmake output
>   -- BOOST_VERSION: 1.67.0
>   -- BROTLI_VERSION: v0.6.0
>   -- BZIP2_VERSION: 1.0.6
>   -- CARES_VERSION: 1.15.0
>   -- DOUBLE_CONVERSION_VERSION: v3.1.1
>   -- FLATBUFFERS_VERSION: v1.10.0
>   -- GBENCHMARK_VERSION: v1.4.1
>   -- GFLAGS_VERSION: v2.2.0
>   -- GLOG_VERSION: v0.3.5
>   -- GRPC_VERSION: v1.18.0
>   -- GTEST_VERSION: 1.8.1
>   -- JEMALLOC_VERSION: 17c897976c60b0e6e4f4a365c751027244dada7a
>   -- LZ4_VERSION: v1.8.3
>   -- ORC_VERSION: 1.5.4
>   -- PROTOBUF_VERSION: v3.6.1
>   -- RAPIDJSON_VERSION: 2bbd33b33217ff4a73434ebf10cdac41e2ef5e34
>   -- RE2_VERSION: 2018-10-01
>   -- SNAPPY_VERSION: 1.1.3
>   -- THRIFT_VERSION: 0.12.0
>   -- ZLIB_VERSION: 1.2.8
>   -- ZSTD_VERSION: v1.3.7

Not sure if it is detected or not as this is missing from the log above. That
log lists only the bundled versions that would be installed if the package is
not found on your system. Whether or not system RapidJSON is used will be
logged some lines later.

For jemalloc the situation is slightly different. We have vendored upstream's
head of the 4.x branch as that was until some time ago the only version that
worked reliably on all systems together with Arrow. We could have a look again
at using the newest jemalloc version again.

> 3. There does not seem to be an uninstall target.

CMake doesn't provide this and their FAQ
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/FAQ#can-i-do-make-uninstall-with-cmake
 sounds reasonable to me. I guess package managers are better at removing Arrow
again than our CMake scripts. Especially as we would only be aware of the
currently build files and not the ones of previous versions. For example
current master builds libarrow.so.13 but is not aware of the libarrow.so.12 of
previous releases.

> 4. AFAIU, the pyarrow build expects the libraries in
> $CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX/lib.  This will never be accepted by a distro.  I do
> realise this one is probably hard to resolve, given how the builds are setup
> at the moment.

This should be resolvable. One of the odeas of the recent refractor was to get
rid of so hard assumptions. We need to carry this on also on the Python side.
Can you open a JIRA with a link to the code that makes this assumption?

Uwe