Thanks Wes:

"the current Feather format is deprecated" ... yes, but there will be a
future file format that replaces it, correct?  And my discussion of
immutable "portions" of Arrow buffers, rather than immutability of the
entire buffer, applies to IPC as well, right?  I am only championing the
idea that this future file format have the convenience that certain
preallocated rows can be ignored based on a metadata setting.

"I recommend batching your writes" ... this is extremely inefficient and
adds unacceptable latency, relative to the proposed solution.  Do you
disagree?  Either I have a batch length of 1 to minimize latency, which
eliminates columnar advantages on the read side, or else I add latency.
Neither works, and it seems that a viable alternative is within sight?

If you don't agree that there is a core issue and opportunity here, I'm not
sure how to better make my case....

-John