On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 16:41:47 -0700
Neal Richardson <neal.p.richard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I gather that this has all been done informally in the past, but would some
> folks be interested in taking up this release-prep role for the various
> languages and formalizing that responsibility a bit? By "formalize" I just
> mean write down on the wiki (
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ARROW/Arrow+0.14.0+Release) who
> is overseeing the release for each language and what the current status is.
> That way, Kou and anyone else can see at a glance which subprojects are
> ready for release and who to talk to about wrangling the others. For my
> part, I've been curating the R backlog and 0.14 release scope and working
> with Romain and others to get the essentials done, and I'd be happy to
> record that I'm doing this and publicize when the key issues have been
> addressed and we're ready to release. If different people were to do that
> for the other 10 languages, we could eliminate some ambiguity as to what
> the status is and who is taking responsibility for ensuring that the
> necessary work gets done.

The risk if we have that kind of process for 11 languages is that
releases never get ready because there's always something left to
improve, fix or clean up.

If we want to stick to project-wide releases where all languages and
components are released once, then time-based releases are the only
reasonable scheme IMHO.  Of course, there may still be release-blocking
issues, but those should only be important regressions, not "this is a
feature we'd definitely like to see in this release".

Regards

Antoine.