On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 6:07 PM Neal Richardson
<neal.p.richard...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgive me if this is off topic; I haven't been following this closely
> and I haven't used scipy.sparse. But there are some very reasonable
> cases where you might want to fill sparse data with a value other than
> 0:
>
> * The sparseness is missing data, and 0 is not the same as NA
> * Better compression: figure out which value is most common in the
> data and make that the default that gets filled. E.g. how many fingers
> a person has.

Definitely. I am the original author of pandas's Sparse* family of
types, and they were created for the case where the data is mostly
null/NA. But, as far as I'm aware, this component of pandas is
relatively unique and was never intended as an alternatives to sparse
matrix libraries.

It seems like the sparse-with-fill-value might be better discussed on
Micah's thread regarding Array compression and encoding.