Hey Uwe,

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 1:49 PM Uwe L. Korn <uw...@xhochy.com> wrote:

> Hello Krisztián,
>
> I like this proposal. CI coverage and response time is a crucial thing for
> the health of the project. In general I like the consolidation and local
> reproducibility of tge builds. Some questions I wanted to ask to make sure
> I understand your proposal correctly (hopefully they all can be answered
> with a simple yes):
>
> * Windows builds will stay in Appveyor for now?

Yes. Afterwards I'd go with the following steps:
1. Port the AppVeyor configurations to buildbot and run them on
    AppVeyor with `ursabot project build windows-builder-name`
2. Once we have windows workers, and they are reliable, we can
    decommission the AppVeyor builds.

> * MacOS builds will stay in Travis?

Yes, same as above.

> * All other builds will be removed from Travis?

Not all of the Travis builds are ported to buildbot yet, namely: c_glib,
ruby, and the format integration tests.
I suggest an incremental procedure, if the travis build is ported to
buildbot, we can choose to still run it on travis or we can choose
disable it. In this case Travis would only be a hosting provider.

> * Machines are currently run and funded by UrsaLabs but others could also
> sponsor an instance that could be added to the setup?

Exactly, either in the cloud or a bare machines, buildbot enables
us to scale our cluster pretty easily.

> * The build configuration is automatically updated on a merge to master?

Not yet, but this can be automatized too with buildbot itself.

> And then a not so simple one: What will happen to our current
> docker-compose setup? From the PR it seems like we do similar things with
> ursabot but not using the central docker-compose.yml?

Currently we're using docker-compose to run one-off containers rather
than long running, multi-container services (which docker-compose is
designed for). Ursabot already supports the features we need from
docker-compose, so it can effectively replace the docker-compose
setup as well. We have low-level control over the docker API, so we
are able to tailor it to our requirements.