I'd be open to looking at a proposal for a human-readable text
representation, but I'm definitely wary about making any kind of
cross-version compatibility guarantees (beyond "we will do our best").
If we were to make the same kinds of forward/backward compatibility
guarantees as with Flatbuffers it could create a lot of work for
maintainers.