hi Neal,

Thanks for bringing this up. Independent of who is "right" (or simply
"more right") about the merits of these changes, I support the use of
language in the project that is broadly accepted as neutral. If a term
used is neutral and clearly communicates its function, then we should
use that. If there is disagreement about a term's neutrality, then it
would be better to choose an alternative where there is not debate.
Having debates about whether or not something is neutral can become a
political or ideological matter, and I'd prefer to avoid even the
possibility of such issues in this project.

Renaming our default branch to "develop" or similar sounds good to me.
It's true that it would create some disruption of tools that have
"master" hard-coded but as a one-time change I think from a technical
standpoint I think it's something we can handle. On
whitelist/blacklist similarly I think allow/deny or include/exclude is
not only more neutral but also more clear with regard to function.

Thanks,
Wes