We should aim to improve the performance of the most widely used
*default* packages, which are python pip, python conda and R (all
platforms). AFAIK, both pip (manywheel) and conda use gcc on Linux by
default. R uses gcc on Linux and mingw (gcc) on Windows. I suppose
(haven't checked) that clang is used on OSX via brew. Thus, by
default, almost all users are going to use a gcc compiled version of
arrow on Linux.

François