In that case I would propose the following:
1.  Standardize on clang for performance generating numbers for performance
related PRs
2.  Adjust our binary artifact builds to use clang where feasible (I think
should wait until after our next release).
3.  Add to the contributors guide summarizing the discussion.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Micah