On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 9:36 AM Micah Kornfield <emkornfi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> > This sounds really interesting, how about adding the wasm build (C++) to
> > the releases?
>
> I think this just needs someone to volunteer to do it and maintain it (at a
> minimum if it doesn't already exist we need CI for it).  We would also need
> to figure out details of publishing and integrating it into the release
> process.

Yes a wasm build for the core C++ library would be a welcome addition as
well (as long as C++ maintainers agree whatever we do doesn't add a large
maintenance burden). As Micah pointed out folks at JPMC have already done
some work on this as part of Perspective, but we don't have any support in
Arrow itself.
I gave this a shot after being encouraged by [1], but ran into issues that
I can't recall and gave up. Probably someone with more knowledge of C++ and
cmake could get past it, especially given there's an example in Perspective.

As far as release/publishing, for Rust there's wasm-pack [2] which would
let us publish build artifacts to the npm registry for use in JS. I'm not
sure if this is helpful for integrating with Spark or not.

FWIW there was another thread [3] about wasm builds for Rust and C++ a
while back.

[1] https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/3350#issuecomment-464517253
[2] https://rustwasm.github.io/wasm-pack/book/introduction.html
[3]