Hi folks:

Last week we officially announced a new benchmarking tool called
Conbench with an Arrow integration.

    https://ursalabs.org/blog/announcing-conbench/
    https://twitter.com/wesmckinn/status/1390324198623547392

Conbench is a language independent, continuous benchmarking (CB)
framework, built specifically with the needs of a cross-language,
platform-independent, high-performance project like Arrow in mind.

    https://github.com/ursacomputing/conbench

On each merge to the main Arrow branch, over 2000 C++, R, and Python
benchmarks are run, and the results are posted to our publicly
available Conbench server (click the following link to see all your
pretty faces and avatars).

    https://conbench.ursa.dev/

You can also benchmark your Arrow pull requests with the GitHub
comment: "@ursabot please benchmark". More information about how to
benchmark your pull requests can be found in the blog post linked to
above.

A *huge* thanks to Elena Henderson for all the orchestration and
behind the scenes system administration & services she built – I
couldn't have asked for a better partner to collaborate on this
project with.

Thanks also to Jonathan Keane & Neal Richardson for the R benchmarks,
and to Antoine Pitrou, Weston Pace, David Li, Krisztián Szucs, Wes
McKinney, and many others for lending their domain expertise and
support along the way.

I'll circle back in a month or so with an update on other Conbench
projects currently in flight. Sneak preview: better statistical
analysis courtesy of Jonathan Keane, and Java benchmarks courtesy of
Kazuaki Ishizaki. In the meantime, I wish you all speedy access to
vaccines.

--diana