We'd like to have the conbench project itself exist as an independent
open source project so it can be easily used in other projects. If it
makes sense to donate to the ASF at some point we are open to the
discussion! In the meantime, we welcome pull requests.

Regarding the Arrow benchmarks, in principle having these in an Arrow
repository (along with various other benchmarking infrastructure)
would make sense. One of the reasons for a separate repository is to
not bind the benchmarks to a particular git hash of the Arrow codebase
(so data can be backfilled). We have the same issue with collecting
C++ benchmark data from old versions of the project with newer
benchmarks (at least when the API has not changed, so things would
still compile with the old version of the codebase)