I'm guessing there hasn't been opposition on this thread because the users
that this might affect aren't following this mailing list.

I'd be interested to see which other major C++ projects out there have
bumped their requirement to C++17, and how that experience was for
everyone--the user community as well as the developers. Do you know of good
examples? I just checked on CRAN today, and of the 17,694 R packages there,
only 3 require C++17 (none of which have wide adoption) and only 20 require
C++14.

Neal