On Tue, 8 Jun 2021 17:37:30 -0500
Jonathan Keane <jke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been digging a bit to try and put numbers on those users the Neal
> mentions. Specifically, we know that requiring C++17 will mean that R
> users on windows using versions of R before 4.0.0 will not be able to
> compile/install arrow. Although R version 3.6 is no longer supported
> by CRAN [1], many people hang on to older versions for an extended
> period of time.
>
> We are still working on getting more solid numbers about how many
> people might still be on these old versions, but here is what I have
> so far:
>
> Using Rstudio's cran mirror logs of package installations [2] (and
> with the help of Arrow datasets to process/filter these files 🎉) for
> the period from 2020-05-18 [3] to today, for the installations that
> have an r version reported approximately 27% of the windows package
> installs are on versions before 4.0.0 (and therefore would be unable
> to install arrow if we require C++17 right now).

Is this because binary packages are forbidden in R-land?  Do Windows
users of R really install Arrow from source?  Or is it really
impossible to use a modern compiler when building R packages for R
versions older than 4.0 ?

Note the requirement we're proposing to bump is for *building* Arrow.
Using binaries should not be affected, especially on Windows (on Linux,
you must be a bit more careful, but normally the CentOS devtoolset
should take care of that).

Regards

Antoine.