> I will have to beg you all to give me some time to review all the
> information when I am not on vacation, but Arrow has in essence two
> timestamp data types

This is how I always interpreted with and without timezone (really two
distinct types).  I also thought we had covered this on the prior thread
with Julian, but I guess we never reached consensus.  I think if we had to
do it over again, perhaps different modelling would have made this clearer
(e.g. storing separate fields (year, month, day, etc) for naive timestamps.

If the timezone field doesn't say how to display data to the user, and we
> agree it doesn't describe how data is stored (since its very presence means
> data is stored as UTC) ... well ... what *is* the meaning of the timezone
> field?

I think it just so happens this is mostly a hold-over from Pandas and for
some reason not everyone in the community looked too closely at it.  A long
time ago there was a thread of possibly introducing a per slot/cell
timezone like type as well but there hasn't seemed to be a lot of interest.

(In my opinion, there shouldn't be a field at all.)

This really isn't an option at this point due to compatibility guarantees,
at best we could discourage use.