Le 12/08/2021 à 15:05, Wes McKinney a écrit :
It seems that one adjacent problem here is how to make it simpler for
third parties (especially ones that act as front end interfaces) to
build and serialize/deserialize the IR structures with some kind of
ready-to-go middleware library, written in a language like C++.

A C++ library sounds a bit complicated to deal with for Java, Rust, Go, etc. developers.

I'm not sure which design decision and set of compromises would make the most sense. But this is why I'm asking the question "why not JSON?" (+ JSON-Schema if you want to ease validation by third parties).

(note I have already mentioned MsgPack, but only in the case a binary encoding is really required; it doesn't have any other advantage that I know of over JSON, and it's less ubiquitous)

Regards

Antoine.

To do that, one would need the equivalent of arrow/type.h and related
Flatbuffers schema serialization code that lives in arrow/ipc. If you
want to be able to completely and accurately serialize Schemas, you
need quite a bit of code now.

One possible approach (and not go crazy) would be to:

* Move arrow/types.h and its dependencies into a standalone C++
library that can be vendored into the main apache/arrow C++ library. I
don't know how onerous arrow/types.h's transitive dependencies /
interactions are at this point (there's a lot of stuff going on in
type.cc [1] now)
* Make the namespaces exported by this library configurable, so any
library can vendor the Arrow types / IR builder APIs privately into
their project
* Maintain this "Arrow types and ComputeIR library" as an always
zero-dependency library to facilitate vendoring
* Lightweight bindings in languages we care about (like Python or R or
GLib/Ruby) could be built to the IR builder middleware library

This seems like what is more at issue compared with rather projects
are copying the Flatbuffers files out of their project from
apache/arrow or apache/arrow-format.

[1]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/cpp/src/arrow/type.cc