> I cannot estimate the effort to backport large features like the new
layouts that are currently being added (e.g. RunEndEncoding, ListView,
etc.).

In my mind we are only talking about patch releases for security fixes or
similarly critical issues as otherwise the effort to maintain 'v14' (but
actually arrow-latest) would surely overshadow any gains made by
deprecating jdk 8?