Hi,

One of the challenges we have when doing a release is verification and voting.

Currently the Arrow verification process is quite long, tedious and error prone.

I would like to use this email to get feedback and user requests in
order to improve the process.

Several things already on my mind:

One thing that is quite annoying is that any flaky failure makes us
restart the process and possibly requires downloading everything
again. It would be great to have some kind of retry mechanism that
allows us to keep going from where it failed and doesn't have to redo
the previous successful jobs.

We do have a bunch of flags to do specific parts but that requires
knowledge and time to go over the different flags, etcetera so the UX
could be improved.

Based on the ASF release policy [1] in order to cast a +1 vote we have
to validate the source code packages but it is not required to
validate binaries locally. Several binaries are currently tested using
docker images and they are already tested and validated on CI. Our
documentation for release verification points to perform binary
validation. I plan to update the documentation and move it to the
official docs instead of the wiki [2].

I would appreciate input on the topic so we can improve the current process.

Thanks everyone,
Raúl

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval
[2]