Thanks Shoumyo for bringing this up!

Using a schema to transmit statistica/data dependent values is also
something we do in GeoParquet (whose schema also finds its way into
pyarrow and the C data interface when reading). It is usually fine but
occasionally ends up with schema metadata that is lying (e.g., when
unifying schemas from multiple files in a dataset, I believe pyarrow
will sometimes assign metadata from one file to the entire dataset
and/or propagate it through projections/filters).

I imagine statistics would be opt-in (i.e., a consumer would have to
explicitly request them), in which case that consumer could possibly
be required to remove them. With the custom format string that was
proposed I think this is unlikely to happen; however, that a consumer
might want to know statistics over IPC too is an excellent point.

> Unless there are other ways of producing stream-level application metadata
> outside of the schema/field metadata

Technically there is message-level metadata in the IPC flatbuffers,
although I don't believe it is accessible from most IPC readers. That
mechanism isn't available from an ArrowArrayStream and so it might not
help with the specific case at hand.

> nowhere is it mentioned that metadata must be used to determine schema
> equivalence

I am only familiar with a few implementations, but at least Arrow C++
and nanoarrow have options to ignore metadata and/or nullability
and/or possibly field names (e.g., for a list type) depending on what
type of type/schema equivalence is required.

> use cases where you want to know the schema *before* the data is produced.

I may be understanding it incorrectly, but I think it's generally
possible to emit a schema with metadata before emitting record
batches. I suppose you would have already started downloading the
stream, though.

> I think what we are slowly converging on is the need for a spec to
> describe the encoding of Arrow array statistics as Arrow arrays.

+1 (this will be helpful however we decide to transmit statistics)