Hi,

> ADBC might be too big of a leap in complexity now, but "we just need C
> Data Interface + statistics" is unlikely to remain true for very long
> as projects grow in complexity.

Does this mean that we will need C Data Interface +
statistics + XXX + ... for query planning and so on?

Or does this mean that ADBC like statistics schema will not
be able to cover use cases such as query planning?

If it means the former, can we provide extra mechanism at
that time?

If it means the latter, how about adding version to
statistics schema? For example, we can add
'"ARROW:statistics:version" => "1.0.0"' metadata to
statistics schema. We can define statistics schema 2.0.0
when we find a use case that isn't covered by statistics
schema 1.0.0. It doesn't break existing codes because
we can use both of statistics schema 1.0.0 and 2.0.0 at the
same time.

kou

In <CAOC8YXZFbhQwY6-MM_fjhE=dxas9jskz24c8e-cmb1vwmow...@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [DISCUSS] Statistics through the C data interface" on Thu, 23 May 2024
11:09:07 -0300,