Thanks Graham and Sarath,

I have dug into this a little more. I still have not got it started ! I
have tried add the jar file Sarath mentions to a Titan 0 and Janus build -
still no starting Atlas.

At titan0 I had a level of BerkleyDB that was working in an external
Titan. This does not have the Apache 2 licence
The library that Sarath is pointing me to (5.0.73) uses has the sleepycat
license not the apache license. So Sarath correctly says we cannot package
this jar file.
 I do not think I should be using 5.0.73 with JanusDB and I did not get
the class not found error trying Titan 0.

The version of BerkleyDB that does have the Apache 2 license is 7.3.7 Java
edition.  I notice in the the build for JanusGraph with BerkleDb and ES I
see:

[INFO] --- maven-remote-resources-plugin:1.5:process (default) @
atlas-graphdb-janus ---
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
http://repo.hortonworks.com/content/repositories/releases/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/snapshots/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
https://maven.java.net/content/groups/public/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
https://repository.jboss.org/nexus/content/groups/public/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom
Downloading:
http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/releases/com/sleepycat/je/7.3.7/je-7.3.7.pom

It looks like we are already getting 7.3.7. I notice there is a
hortonworks url - should this be in an Apache project? .

I assume that the Janus we support in Atlas is embedded. Do / should  we
support an external Janus (as we used to with Titan)?
I assume that the Janus jar files we package with do not include the
DBException class - are we picking up the right Janus jar files or is this
class missing from a janus jar files we are using.

I notice when I build with berkleyDB and Titan0 - I get the following
generated in the atlas application properties.  :
# Graph Storage
atlas.graph.storage.backend=berkeleyje
atlas.graph.storage.hbase.table=apache_atlas_titan

I am unsure what we would have a hbase table entry generated for
berkeleyje. I was expecting
atlas.graph.storage.backend=berkeleyje
atlas.graph.storage.directory=data/berkeley

When starting atlas I am told it has started successfully but it has not.
I am unsure how the rest call it issues could complete successfully, if
the server is not available.

Looking at the atlas....out file in the logs folder I build with  clean
package -Pdist,berkeley-elasticsearch -DGRAPH-PROVIDER=titan0 . This
successfuly builds and run all the tests.
When I attempt to start atlas, I see errors indicating it is trying to
establish JanusGraph even though the generated application properties file
indicates we are using Berkleyje:

"
2017-11-15 12:14:57,820 WARN  - [main:] ~ Using @Deprecated Class
org.springframework.web.util.Log4jConfigListener (DeprecationWarning:43)
2017-11-15 12:14:58,978 WARN  - [main:] ~ Exception encountered during
context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt:
bean with name
'org.springframework.context.event.internalEventListenerProcessor':
BeanPostProcessor before instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name 'graphTransactionAdvisor' defined in URL
[jar:file:/Users/david/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/server/webapp/atlas/WEB-INF/lib/atlas-repository-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar!/org/apache/atlas/GraphTransactionAdvisor.class]:

Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 0; nested
exception is
org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error
creating bean with name 'graphTransactionInterceptor' defined in URL
[jar:file:/Users/david/atlas/distro/target/apache-atlas-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-bin/apache-atlas-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/server/webapp/atlas/WEB-INF/lib/atlas-repository-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar!/org/apache/atlas/GraphTransactionInterceptor.class]:

Unsatisfied dependency expressed through constructor parameter 0; nested
exception is org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException:
Error creating bean with name 'get' defined in
org.apache.atlas.repository.graph.AtlasGraphProvider: Bean instantiation
via factory method failed; nested exception is
org.springframework.beans.BeanInstantiationException: Failed to
instantiate [org.apache.atlas.repository.graphdb.AtlasGraph]: Factory
method 'get' threw exception; nested exception is
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.apache.atlas.AtlasException:
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.atlas.repository.graphdb.janus.AtlasJanusGraphDatabase
(AbstractApplicationContext:550)
2017-11-15 12:14:58,980 ERROR - [main:] ~ Context initialization failed
(ContextLoader:350)
[...]

        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:479)
        at
org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:306)

"

Building with Janus with unit test enabled gives me 10 test failures. I
know DSL is not workng yet with Janus - are all these test error expected?
Failed tests:

NotificationHookConsumerIT.testCreateEntity:107->BaseResourceIT.waitFor:615->access$100:41->BaseResourceIT.searchByDSL:676

» AtlasService

NotificationHookConsumerIT.testDeleteByQualifiedName:205->BaseResourceIT.waitFor:622

»

NotificationHookConsumerIT.testMessageHandleFailureConsumerContinues:85->BaseResourceIT.waitFor:615->access$000:41->BaseResourceIT.searchByDSL:676

» AtlasService

NotificationHookConsumerIT.testUpdateEntityFullUpdate:238->BaseResourceIT.waitFor:615->access$500:41->BaseResourceIT.searchByDSL:676

» AtlasService

NotificationHookConsumerIT.testUpdatePartialUpdatingQualifiedName:176->BaseResourceIT.waitFor:615->access$300:41->BaseResourceIT.searchByDSL:676

» AtlasService

AtlasAuthenticationSimpleFilterIT.testSimpleLoginAndAuthorizationWithValidCrendentialsAndInvalidAccessToResource:74

expected [403] but found [500]

DataSetLineageJerseyResourceIT.setUp:61->setupInstances:205->table:273->BaseResourceIT.createInstance:218

» AtlasService
  EntityDiscoveryJerseyResourceIT.testSearchByDSL:60 » AtlasService
Metadata ser...
  EntityDiscoveryJerseyResourceIT.testSearchDSLLimits:81 » AtlasService
Metadata...
  EntityDiscoveryJerseyResourceIT.testSearchUsingDSL:122 » AtlasService
Metadata...

all the best, David.